Friday, June 10, 2011

Top Ten Reasons I Belong in Phoenix!

Here I am. It's a Friday night in Tempe, AZ. I am sitting in a dorm room on the campus of ASU. Remember how I never even lived in dorms when I was a freshman in college? Anyway. This place is pretty empty. Where there used to be 180 of us, there are now very few. Bars and clubs are calling to the rest of the people here, so here I am. Since I was feeling a little lame for sitting here, and perhaps a little lonely because all of the new friends I have made are out partying, I decided to make a list of the top ten reasons I belong in Phoenix... in case there was any doubt in anyone's mind... including my own…

10. It's warm here! Although I hear it's unseasonably cool these days--only around 100 degrees...

9. There is an Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering at ASU, and there is one of those at BYU, too. Coincidence? I think not! (P.S. That one's for you, Peter.)

8. There is a road called Alma School Road here. I mean, how cool is that? My favorite book in the Book of Mormon is Alma, and I'm here to teach school... Hello? Match made in heaven?

7. I get a lot more sleep than most people because I don't go out and drink every night.

6. I have this amazing roommate named Linda who is an inspiration to me. She went back to school at age 45 or so, graduated, gave up a career, packed up her life, and moved to Phoenix to help close the achievement gap and help students in Phoenix obtain an excellent education.

5. It doesn't snow here.

4. There is a town here called Youngtown. For those of you who don't know where I served my mission, I served in the YoungStown, Ohio Ward. Yet another sign.

3. Yesterday my friend Juliet and I went to the temple, and it was the fastest temple trip I have ever experienced. We left Tempe at 4:20, drove to Mesa, went to the temple, and were back in Tempe by 5:30. Eat that, Provo!

2. I love teaching, and I feel passionately about the work I am doing.

1. I have missionary experiences multiple times, EVERY DAY!

So, you see, everything really has aligned quite nicely. Clearly, this is where I belong.

6 comments:

  1. Pretty sure there's a Lehi, Arizona towards the south, maybe? I rode horses there for Thanksgiving last year. Where's Youngstown, Arizona at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis. Keddington congrats on the exciting new life in Arizona. I know that the Lord will continue to bless you for all your hard work, and keep being a great member missionary. Thanks for great example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Shman. I want pictures and more updates soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's where I belong too Shan! I know what you mean! We miss you and can't wait to see you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new adventure! I have to admit that I was pretty bummed when it donned on me that our trip to Utah this week will probably not include seeing you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang! You're definitely right! I am in AZ now. But travel safely with your beautiful family, and enjoy the beautiful Utah summer!

    ReplyDelete